MovieGuard Help Contents
There are 2 basic components to this system:
- MovieGuard Producer
- MovieGuard Player
- This is the software that encrypts your Movie files so that they can only be read by the specifed Movie Player. This program allows you to create a playlist of Movie files and then encrypt the Movie files with different parameters to enable various marketing uses.
- This is the software that you distribute and/or sell to your customers to allow
them access to your Movie files. You must also distribute the data files that are generated in the output directory. The MovieGuard Player allows the user to change volume, check sound card, view ID3 details, send e-mail and visit a web site.
These are some samples of the screens. Click to enlarge.
There are several different ways to use this system:
- Movie Only - no advertising screens and no license verification is performed. This is accomplished by not entering any data into the ShareGuard Progam field, Ad Screen image and Ad Screen URL fields. This feature is useful for marketing when you want to give away free information but you do not want them to be able to copy, print or save your information.
- Movie With Advertising - An advertising screen is displayed whenever the user starts the Movie Player to view your document. This is accomplished by entering data into the Ad Screen image and Ad Screen URL fields. This feature is useful for marketing when you want to give away free information but you want them to visit a particular web site in order to upsell them on another product.
- Licensed Movie - license verification is performed. This is accomplished by entering a valid ShareGuard project filename into the ShareGuard Program field. This feature is useful for marketing when you want to ensure that all users have registered their Movie with you. The registration process can be free if you just collect e-mail addresses or the registration can be to an e-commerce site if you wish to charge money for your e-book.
NOTE: This method requires the ShareGuard module which is optional. You can download and try ShareGuard for free. See the Internet/Download ShareGuard on the main menu.
There are 3 basic security features to this system:
- MovieGuard Player - the MovieGuard Player program will decrypt your document and display it to the user. The user cannot cut and paste, print or save the document.
- MovieGuard User Encryption - the MovieGuard encrypts your Movie so that only the specified Player program will be able to decrypt your music and play it to the user.
- ShareGuard (optional) - the ShareGuard program will check the licensing of the Movie before allowing the program to run. If the user is not licensed then the Movie will not display your Movie contents.
- Supported Formats: MovieGuard will support all filetypes (.WMV, .ASF, .MPG, .MP3, .MMS) except Apple .MOV. You can convert .MOV to MPEG or another supported file format.
- Streaming Content: MMS file format is multimedia server (only with ZapperSoftware.com products) and is just a text file containing the URL of your multimedia files - .ASF, .WMV or MP3
- Copy Protection: You must use ShareGuard to enforce the copy protection. ShareGuard V4.1 will allow you to manage and control all online activations and deactivations (automatically or manually). You can use this method with either local files .WMV .ASF, .MPG, .MP3 or streaming using our .MMS format. The MMS file is encrypted so end users will not see the content without going through the MovieGuard Player.
- Select the MovieGuard program from you Start/Programs or your desktop depending upon your installation.
- Create your playlist and save it. You can create a playlist from the Movie Files page (press the Add button for each file and then Save at the end) or from the Movie Files combo box by double-clicking and selecting files on the Movie Filename field.
- Type in a title for your playlist in the Movie Title field.
- Check the Autostart check box if you want the video to start playing automatically.
- Double-click the Movie Filename field to add files to your playlist.
- If you want your users to be able to visit a particular web site then do the following:
This is selected by Help/Web Site from the Movie Player.
- Enter the URL Movie URL field.
- If you want your users to be able to send you e-mail then do the following:
This is selected by Help/Send Mail from the Movie Player.
- Enter your contact name in the eMail Name field.
- Enter your e-mail address in the eMail Address field.
- Enter the subject of the e-mail in the eMail Subject field.
- Enter any notes for the e-mail in the eMail Notes field.
- If you want your users to be licensed to watch your video:
This is automatically run whenever the user starts the Movie Player. If the user is not licensed and/or their trial period is over then the Movie Player will not display your document. It will, however, display a form allowing them to pay and/or register to enable access to your Movie.
- Enter the ShareGuard Project filename in the ShareGuard Program field.
- If you want to execute another program when users watch your video:
This is automatically run whenever the user starts the Movie Player.
- Enter the executable filename in the Other Program field.
- If you want your users to automatically see an image and be able to visit another web site:
This is automatically displayed whenever the user starts the Movie Player.
- Enter the filename of the image in the Ad Screen Image field.
- Enter the URL of the web site in the Ad Screen URL field.
- Enter a valid number from 0001 to 9999 in each of the three Encryption fields.
- Press the Produce button. This will automatically encrypt and copy all of the required programs and data into the output directory.
- Press the Play button. This will display the Movie Player using all of the parameters that you have generated. This is for testing purposes.
- Once you are happy with the Movie then create a setup program using all of the files that are in the output directory.
- Save the current parameters in an Movie Project file.
This is main form for creating and publishing an Movie. There are two pages - the Publish Page which contains the Movie parameters and the Write Page which contains the text editor.
This is the title that will appear as a caption in the title bar on the Movie Player program.
This is the filename of the Movie file that you wish to produce (encrypt). Double-click this field and select a file in Movie format (*.Movie). You can also use the Movie Files Page to create a playlist within this software.
NOTE: This is a required field.
This is the URL (uniform resource locator) to visit when playing the movie.
If this box is checked then this will load and start playing the video automatically when the user opens the MovieGuard Player. If the box is not checked then the user must select open and then select play for each video.
If this is YES then the video can be saved by the user into a decrypted format. If this is NO then the video cannot be saved. ALWAYS SET THIS TO NO to protect your video.
This is the URL of the web site that the users can visit by selecting Help/Web Site from the menu of the Movie Player.
This is the name that will appear in the Name Line of the mail message for the sendmail feature of the Movie Player.
This is the e-mail address that will appear in the Send To Line of the mail message for the sendmail feature of the Movie Player.
This is the e-mail subject that will appear in the Subject Line of the mail message for the sendmail feature of the Movie Player.
This is the e-mail notes that will appear in the main body of the mail message for the sendmail feature of the Movie Player.
This is the ShareGuard Project file to use for the Movie Player.
NOTE: This is an optional feature. ShareGuard is an additional program that works with MovieGuard. You can try ShareGuard for a free trial period by selecting Internet/Download ShareGuard. The ShareGuard Calling Program must be the Movie Player program (ZSMVGDP.EXE).
This is the executable file name to use for the Movie Player.
NOTE: This is an optional feature. The other program is any executable file that you wish to be run when the user starts up the Movie Player. This can be AdWare or any program that you ship with the Setup program.
Ad Screen Image
This is the image file name to use for the Movie Player. This can be either a JPEG image (*.jpg) or a BITMAP (*.bmp) image. This will start another form to display with the specified image. You can also select an Ad Screen URL which will display a button for the user to press. If the user presses this button it will take them to the URL specified.
NOTE: This is optional feature.
Ad Screen URL
This is the URL to use for the Movie Player Ad Screen. Entering a valid URL in this field will display a button on the Ad Screen. If the user presses this button it will take them to the URL specified.
NOTE: This is optional feature.
Ad Screen Delay
This check box is for the Splash Screen. If the user checks this box then the splash screen will display for 4 seconds and then automatically close. If this box is not
checked then the user must close the splash screen manually (pressing the Close button).
Ad Screen - Visit URL Automatically
This check box is for the browser to open automatically. If this box is checked then the default browser will open to the specified URL. URL format is www.yourwebsite.com
Remember to always use different encryption parameters to ensure the best security.
Encryption Key 1
This is the first of three keys to use to encrypt your document. You should select your own set of keys to ensure that no other Movie Player can decrypt your document. You must select a valid number from 0001 to 9999.
NOTE: This is a required field.
Encryption Key 2
This is the second of three keys to use to encrypt your document. You should select your own set of keys to ensure that no other Movie Player can decrypt your document. You must select a valid number from 0001 to 9999.
NOTE: This is a required field.
Encryption Key 3
This is the third of three keys to use to encrypt your document. You should select your own set of keys to ensure that no other Movie Player can decrypt your document. You must select a valid number from 0001 to 9999.
NOTE: This is a required field.
This will encrypt your Movie files with all of the parameters specified. The files are written to the output directory.
This will start the Movie Player program to test your Movie playlist with all of the parameters specified. The files are run from the output directory called 'PlayList'.
This will close the Movie Producer program.
Movie Files PlayList Editor
This editor will allow you to create a playlist.
This will open an Movie (*.Movie) format file and load it into the PlayList Editor.
This will save the Movie playlist created and current in the Movie Files PlayList Editor. It will save to the Movie Filename combo box on the Produce Page.
These are all of the File options to clear, open, save and print your work.
This clears all entries on the current page only.
This clears all entries on all of the pages.
This opens a file for the current page only.
This opens a project file for all of the pages.
This saves a file for the current page only.
This saves a project file for all of the pages.
This saves a file for the current page only. It prompts you for a new filename.
File/Save Project As
This saves a project file for all of the pages. It prompts you for a new filename.
This closes the program. It will prompt you to save your current project before closing.
These are all of the pages accessible in the program. This is an alternative to using the tabs. A check indicates the current page.
This page contains all of the parameters required to build and/or publish an Movie playlist for the Movie Player.
This page allows you to creat a playlist of Movie files.
These are all of the options available to the program. This contains fonts and settings.
This allows you to select a different font size and style. Select your font and then press Apply. These fonts will remain in effect until you change them back.
This page allows you to change the following settings: Project Directory and the output directory for the published book.
This is the path for your project files that you will create. You may want to save them in a different directory.
This is the path for your application software and your Movie. Please use all of these files to create your setup program.
This allows you some options to access the internet.
This will open your default browser to Google for searching.
This will send an e-mail to anyone that you specifiy.
This will download the current version of ShareGuard for evaluation. ShareGuard works with the MovieGuard product.NOTE: If ShareGuard is already installed then this option will not appear.
These are all of the help options available to the program. This contains access to the Help Contents, Help Index, Help On Help and About.
This is the page of all of the help contents. The page you are currently reading here is the contents page.
This is the page of the index for the help contents. Clicking on any item will send you to the specified position within the contents page .
Help/Help on Help
This is the page containing information on how to use the help system.
This will open your default browser to Zapper Software so that you can view any additional help or updates regarding MovieGuard.
This will send an e-mail directly to Zapper Software for personal help.
This is the page containing information about the MovieGuard program.
Form Options Directory
This is the directory path for your MovieGuard project files.
This is the directory path for your MovieGuard output files. These are all of the files that are required to run the MovieGuard Player. You will create a setup program containing all of these files. See Help Section at Zapper Software for more information on creating Setup files. If you cannot do the Setup program by yourself then contact me through the Zapper Sofware web site.
This is form for displaying your Ad Screen image.
This is verifying the image for the Ad Screen.
You can display your own JPEG images on the MovieGuard Player by any of the following options:
Create a JPEG file called default.jpg. This will display at start up and will replace the current image.
This is the folder containing all of the files required for distributing your Movie Files. This folder is called c:\Program Files\MovieGuard\Output.
Output - How to Distribute Movie Files
After you press the PUBLISH Key, all of the required files are copied into the OUTPUT folder.
The files are as follows:
Place all of the files that you required from the OUTPUT folder into a zip file or use an Software Installation program. See the C:/Program Files/MovieGuard/Samples/SampleSetup.ISS file which can be used with Inno Setup Compiler (which is free). See the help section on the website for How To Install Software Using Inno Setup
- DEFAULT.SKN - This is the skin file to apply to all forms.
- ZSSGL.EXE - This is the ShareGuard Lock program and is required if you using ShareGuard to protect the document.
- ZSSGLOCK.DLL - This is the ShareGuard Lock dynamic link library and is required if you using ShareGuard to protect the Movie files.
- ZSSGCRC32.DLL - This is the ShareGuard CRC check dynamic link library and is required if you using ShareGuard to protect the document.
- ZSMVGDSS.EXE - This is the MovieGuard Splash Screen program and is required if you are using the Ad Screen and have entered a valid 320x240 image in the image field.
- ZSMVGDP.EXE - This is the MovieGuard Player program which decrypts the document and displays it to the user. This is always a required program. This is the main program to execute. This program will automatically look for a file called ZSVIDEO.MPI which contains all the information required to run the Movie Player according to the specified parameters.
- ZSVIDEO.MPI - This is the MovieGuard Initialization file. It is encrypted in a standard way and contains all of the information required to open the MovieGuard Reader and follow the instructions that you provided in the MovieGuard Publisher program (encryption parameters, splash screen, visit URL, use ShareGuard, etc.). This file contains your specific encryption parameters required to decrypt the *.DAT file that was created. Always use different encryption parameters.
- *.JPG - This is any 320x240 image file that you have included to be displayed as a splash screen.
- *.Movie - This is the encrypted MovieGuard Movie Files. It will be named whatever you saved it as in the MovieGuard Editor except the Movie files are now encrypted and cannot be played by any other Movie player. NOTE: If you allow the SAVE option then the Movie files can be saved into native Movie format after the Movie Player is registered (by the customer with you). An Example: This allows you to distribute full length songs and allow the songs to be played only one time. If the customer wishes to buy the song then they pay you and you send them the unlock key software (using one of these methods described here - e.g. On-Line Registration) and they can then save the encrypted Movie files into standard Movie format which is not encrypted. Warning: Using the Allow Save option - the customer can then download the Movie files into any type of Movie player. This, of course, means that the Movie file(s) could be, potentially, uploaded to an illegal music download site.
- DO NOT INCLUDE any other files that may have been inadvertently saved in this folder. It is always best to delete the contents of this folder prior to each PUBLISH. The exception to this is if you are distributing the key (ShareGuard Key or Manual Key) with the Movie player and files.
- ZSSGK.EXE or ZSSGKM.EXE or ZSSGREG.EXE - These files are from the ShareGuard system and are not included in the output folder. If you are using ShareGuard and wish to distribute the software key then include either of these 2 files and the batch file or executable file containing the parameters. See ShareGuard Overview below for more details.
Output - How to Unlock Movie Files
If you are using ShareGuard then you will need to provide keys in order to unlock the Movie player. Please see the ShareGuard documentation for the most current information on the ShareGuard software.
See C:/Program Files/MovieGuard/Samples/SampleKey.ISS file for an example of distributing a software key to unlock an Movie player. This is an Inno Setup Compiler file (see above).
NOTE: The ZSSGKEY.BAT program (on the ShareGuard Locksmith Key Batch File page) contains all of the parameters to call ZSSGKM.EXE or ZSSGK.EXE. You cannot call ZSSGKM.EXE or ZSSGK.EXE by itself - it does not know what tasks to perform. The ZSSGKEY.BAT will call ZSSGKM.EXE if you specify Single User Key or will call ZSSGK.EXE if you specify NO for Single User Key. Send the user the ZSSGKEY.BAT and the ZSSGKM.EXE without any product key specified. After their product key is displayed, they will e-mail you or phone you with the product key. You can then enter it into the Locksmith Key page - Product Key field. Generate the parameters and Key Batch file and send it to the customer. It will unlock ONLY that computer for that software Movie player album title.
- ShareGuard Lock - use the ShareGuard Locksmith Lock page to create your ShareGuard parameters on how the Movie player will be locked (e.g. After 1 run or always locked).
- Tools - use the ShareGuard Locksmith Tools / Reset Product Key to reset the product key during your Movie player testing. This will reset the product key to simulate a new software installation of your Movie player.
- ShareGuard Key - use the ShareGuard Locksmith Key page to create your ShareGuard Key.
The software key is used to unlock the Movie player so that it will no longer display the registration form and will allow the Movie player to be played. The software key can be distributed with the Movie player software or can be distributed after the user purchases/registers. It is perfectly safe to distribute the software key with the original software if you are using the manual key (single user key) method or the on-line registration method. It is not recommended for the certificate method.
There are 3 different types of software keys:
- Certificates - This approach requires that the user enter a certificate number (that you added on the Key page. You can add up to 10 different certificates for each key and then issue the certificate number to the user after they purchase/register. This approach is the lowest security but requires no maintenance. The weakness with this approach is that the customer could copy all of the files to another computer and enter the same certificate. This requires the files ZSSGKEY.BAT and ZSSGK.EXE. Certificate numbers can be used for the two other approaches. In order to suppress the certificate number requirement then use the "Run Silent" option on the ShareGuard Locksmith Key page.
- On-Line Registration - See the ShareGuard On-Line Registration folder for sample code. This approach requires that the user enter a web page, username and password to unlock the Movie player. This approach is medium security and requires that you change the usernames and passwords at some frequency (e.g. a daily basis). The weakness with this approach is that the customer could copy all of the files to another computer and use the same username and password unless you change the usernames/passwords frequently or have some coding on your website to prevent duplicate use of usernames. This requires the files ZSSGREG.EXE and ZSSGK.EXE. The parameters are downloaded from your website at run time and then are erased so that the user cannot distribute the key. You can also encrypt the batch file which is decrypted on the fly at run time (for even more security).
- Single User Key - This approach requires that the user run the program (ZSSGKEY.BAT and ZSSGKM.EXE) to display their unique product key. They send you the product key that is displayed. You open the ShareGuard project for that book, enter the product id (masked to user) and the 2 other product keys (hard drive signature and a randomly generated key) and then press the OK button or the ALL button and then go to the Locksmith Key Page and save the batch file that is generated. Send this batch file to the user to unlock the Movie player. The batch file ZSSGKEY.BAT must be run from the same directory as ZSSGKM.EXE (your MovieGuard folder). This requires the files ZSSGKEY.BAT and ZSSGKM.EXE. This approach has the highest security as the file is only good for one computer and will not work on any other computer. The drawback is that you must generate a unique key for each customer. This can be done within a minute. There are no weaknesses with this approach - it is impossible to copy or re-distribute the Movie player software key.
|Return to Index
End of MovieGuard Help Contents