PDFGuard Help Contents
There are 2 basic components to this system:
- PDFGuard Producer
- PDFGuard Viewer
NOTE: ShareGuard Required:
To enforce copy protection using software keys then you must ShareGuard. Anybody can copy your complete system to another computer unless you use ShareGuard with PDFGuard.
- This is the software that encrypts your documents so that they can only be read by the specifed PDF viewer. This program allows you to create a document and then encrypt the document with different parameters to enable various marketing uses.
- This is the software that you distribute and/or sell to your customers to allow
them access to your document. You must also distribute the data files that are generated in the output directory. The PDFGuard Viewer allows the user to set bookmarks, go to bookmarks, find text with the document, send e-mail and visit a web site.
- Open ShareGuard (if you do not have it then select Menu/Internet/Download ShareGuard) Create your lock and key system
- Select PDFGuard as Calling Program on the Lock Page
- Compile and save Locksmith project - say NO to create setup file
- Open PDFGuard, set the options and select the PDF files to copy protect
- Double-click on Programs/ShareGuard - select the project file that you created
- Push the Publish button to create all files into the PDFGuard/Output folder
- Push the Read button to verify the contents and the copy protection
- You can now use the contents from the Output folder to create your installation file(s)
- If you do not have an installer program then use the one built into ShareGuard (Inno Setup)
- Open ShareGuard
- Open your project file
- Click on the Calling Program field on the Lock page
- Load Application Files - Push the Clear button at the bottom
- Select anything other than PDFGuard e.g. MP3Guard or Wrap
- Now select PDFGuard again and this will refresh the list of files that you created
- Save the project and compile - say YES to create setup files and follow the instructions
These are some samples of the screens. Click to enlarge.
There are several different ways to use this system:
- PDF Only - no advertising screens and no license verification is performed. This is accomplished by not entering any data into the ShareGuard Progam field, Ad Screen image and Ad Screen URL fields. This feature is useful for marketing when you want to give away free information but you do not want them to be able to copy, print or save your information.
- PDF With Advertising - An advertising screen is displayed whenever the user starts the PDF viewer to view your document. This is accomplished by entering data into the Ad Screen image and Ad Screen URL fields. This feature is useful for marketing when you want to give away free information but you want them to visit a particular web site in order to upsell them on another product.
- Licensed PDF Document - license verification is performed. This is accomplished by entering a valid ShareGuard project filename into the ShareGuard Program field. This feature is useful for marketing when you want to ensure that all users have registered their PDF with you. The registration process can be free if you just collect e-mail addresses or the registration can be to an e-commerce site if you wish to charge money for your e-book. See How to Distribute PDF using ShareGuard.
NOTE: This method requires the ShareGuard module which is optional. You can download and try ShareGuard for free. See the Internet/Download ShareGuard on the main menu or ShareGuard details on the internet.
There are 3 basic security features to this system:
- PDFGuard Viewer - the PDFGuard Viewer program will decrypt your document and display it to the user. The user cannot cut and paste, print (optional printing allowed) or save the document. All pictures and tables are encrypted as well.
- PDFGuard User Encryption - the PDFGuard encrypts your PDF so that only the specified viewer program will be able to decrypt your document and display it to the user.
- ShareGuard (optional) - the ShareGuard program will check the licensing of the PDF before allowing the program to run. If the user is not licensed then the PDF will not display your PDF contents.
- Select the PDFGuard program from you Start/Programs or your desktop depending upon your installation.
- If you have not written your document then select the Write Page. Create your document and save it. If you have already written your document in another word processor then save it in either text format or rich text format.
- Type in a title for your e-Book in the PDF Title field.
- Double-click the PDF Filename field and select your text or rich text format document.
- If you want your users to be able to visit a particular web site then do the following:
This is selected by Help/Web Site from the PDF viewer.
- Enter the URL PDF URL field.
- If you want your users to be able to send you e-mail then do the following:
This is selected by Help/Send Mail from the PDF viewer.
- Enter your contact name in the eMail Name field.
- Enter your e-mail address in the eMail Address field.
- Enter the subject of the e-mail in the eMail Subject field.
- Enter any notes for the e-mail in the eMail Notes field.
- If you want your users to be licensed to read your book:
This is automatically run whenever the user starts the PDF viewer. If the user is not licensed and/or their trial period is over then the PDF viewer will not display your document. It will, however, display a form allowing them to pay and/or register to enable access to your PDF.
- Enter the ShareGuard Project filename in the ShareGuard Program field.
- If you want to execute another program when users read your book:
This is automatically run whenever the user starts the PDF viewer.
- Enter the executable filename in the Other Program field.
- If you want your users to automatically see an image and be able to visit another web site:
This is automatically displayed whenever the user starts the PDF viewer.
- Enter the filename of the image in the Ad Screen Image field.
- Enter the URL of the web site in the Ad Screen URL field.
- Enter a valid number from 0001 to 9999 in each of the three Encryption fields.
- Press the Produce button. This will automatically encrypt and copy all of the required programs and data into the output directory.
- Press the Read button. This will display the PDF viewer using all of the parameters that you have generated. This is for testing purposes.
- Once you are happy with the PDF then create a setup program using all of the files that are in the output directory.
- Save the current parameters in an PDF Project file.
- HyperLinking - Available Protocols
This is how you link to other websites or execute programs or send e-mail or perform FTP file transfers from within PDFGuard Viewer:
This is main form for creating and produceing an PDF. There are two pages - the Produce Page which contains the PDF parameters and the Write Button which invokes the editor.
This is the title that will appear as a caption in the title bar on the PDF viewer program.
This is the filename of the document that you wish to produce (encrypt). Double-click this field and select a file in either TEXT (*.txt) or Rich Text Format (*.rtf). You can create this document in your favourite word processor and then save it to Rich Text Format or Text. You can also use the Write Page to create a document within this software.
NOTE: This is a required field.
This is the URL of the web site that the users can visit by selecting Help/Web Site from the menu of the PDF viewer.
This determines whether the end user can print out your document. Set this radio button to NO if you do not want your document to be printed. Set this radio button to YES if you wish to allow the document to be printed. Cut and paste is never allowed.
Allow Print Preview
This determines whether the end user can preview your document. Set this radio button to NO if you do not want your document to be previewed. Set this radio button to YES if you wish to allow the document to be previewed. Cut and paste is never allowed.
This determines whether the end user will view your PDF document in a scrolling fashion with hypertext links or in preview style with full individual page format. Set this radio button to Scroll if you want your document to be scrolled continuously. Set this radio button to YES if you wish to have the document displayed as pages with first, prev, next and last buttons. Cut and paste is never allowed.
This is the name that will appear in the Name Line of the mail message for the sendmail feature of the PDF viewer.
This is the e-mail address that will appear in the Send To Line of the mail message for the sendmail feature of the PDF viewer.
This is the e-mail subject that will appear in the Subject Line of the mail message for the sendmail feature of the PDF viewer.
This is the e-mail notes that will appear in the main body of the mail message for the sendmail feature of the PDF viewer.
This is the ShareGuard Project file to use for the PDF viewer.
NOTE: This is an optional feature. ShareGuard is an additional program that works with PDFGuard. You can try ShareGuard for a free trial period by selecting Internet/Download ShareGuard. The ShareGuard Calling Program must be the PDF viewer program (ZSEBR.EXE).
This is the executable file name to use for the PDF viewer.
NOTE: This is an optional feature. The other program is any executable file that you wish to be run when the user starts up the PDF viewer. This can be AdWare or any program that you ship with the Setup program.
Ad Screen Image
This is the image file name to use for the PDF viewer. This can be either a JPEG image (*.jpg) or a BITMAP (*.bmp) image. This will start another form to display with the specified image. You can also select an Ad Screen URL which will display a button for the user to press. If the user presses this button it will take them to the URL specified.
NOTE: This is optional feature.
Ad Screen URL
This is the URL to use for the PDF viewer Ad Screen. Entering a valid URL in this field will display a button on the Ad Screen. If the user presses this button it will take them to the URL specified.
NOTE: This is optional feature.
Ad Screen - Delay
This check box is for the Splash Screen. If this box is checked then the splash screen will display for 4 seconds and then automatically close. If this box is not
checked then the user must close the splash screen manually (pressing the Close button).
Ad Screen - Visit URL Automatically
This check box is for the browser to open automatically. If this box is checked then the default browser will open to the specified URL. URL format is www.yourwebsite.com
Remember to always use different encryption parameters to ensure the best security.
Encryption Key 1
This is the first of three keys to use to encrypt your document. You should select your own set of keys to ensure that no other PDF viewer can decrypt your document. You must select a valid number from 0001 to 9999.
NOTE: This is a required field.
Encryption Key 2
This is the second of three keys to use to encrypt your document. You should select your own set of keys to ensure that no other PDF viewer can decrypt your document. You must select a valid number from 0001 to 9999.
NOTE: This is a required field.
Encryption Key 3
This is the third of three keys to use to encrypt your document. You should select your own set of keys to ensure that no other PDF viewer can decrypt your document. You must select a valid number from 0001 to 9999.
NOTE: This is a required field.
This will invoke the PDFGuard editor loaded with your file, if you specified one. This is a full blown word processor that will allow you to import Rich View Files (created by PDFGuard), Rich Text Format, Text files, HTML files and Word Files (.DOC). You can create your document in Microsoft Word and then import into this editor and save it as Rich View File (.RVF format). The PDFGuard Viewer will currently only accept RVF files so all must files must be converted into .RVF before using.
This will encrypt your document with all of the parameters specified. The files are written to the output directory.
This will start the PDF viewer program to test your document with all of the parameters specified. The files are run from the output directory.
This will close the PDF producer program.
This full featured word processing editor will allow you to create a document in rich view format (used internally) or you can import Microsoft Word documents, Rich Text Format, Text Files or HTML Files (limited HTML support).
This will open a TEXT (*.txt) or Rich Text Format (*.rtf) document and load it into the Text Editor.
This will save the PDF document created and current in the Text Editor. It will save to either TEXT (*.txt) or Rich Text Format (*.rtf). If you save to text format then none of the formatting will be saved.
These are all of the File options to clear, open, save and print your work.
This clears all entries on the current page only.
This clears all entries on all of the pages.
This opens a file for the current page only.
This opens a project file for all of the pages.
This saves a file for the current page only.
This saves a project file for all of the pages.
This saves a file for the current page only. It prompts you for a new filename.
File/Save Project As
This saves a project file for all of the pages. It prompts you for a new filename.
This closes the program. It will prompt you to save your current project before closing.
These are all of the Edit options to undo, cut, copy, paste, delete and select all for work in your project files.
This undoes the last edit command.
This cuts the selected text and places into the clipboard.
This copies the selected text and places into the clipboard.
This pastes the clipboard text to the cursor specified location.
This deletes the selected text.
This selects all of the text specified. This is used prior to a cut, copy or delete command.
These are all of the Format options to perform text editing within the rich edit text editor for the creation of your document.
This will place the selected text in bold (darker).
This will place the selected text in italics (slanted).
This will underline the selected text.
This will add a strikeout (dashes over) to the selected text. This is for a crossing out effect.
This will add bullets to the selected text. This is for point form.
This will align the selected text to the left.
This will align the selected text to the right.
This will align the selected text in the center of the document.
These are all of the pages accessible in the program. This is an alternative to using the tabs. A check indicates the current page.
This page contains all of the parameters required to build and/or produce an PDF.
This page allows you to write an PDF in rich text format.
These are all of the options available to the program. This contains fonts and settings.
This allows you to select a different font size and style. Select your font and then press Apply. These fonts will remain in effect until you change them back.
This page allows you to change the following settings: Project Directory and the output directory for the produceed book.
This is the path for your project files that you will create. You may want to save them in a different directory.
This is the path for your application software and your PDF. Please use all of these files to create your setup program.
This allows you to select a different skin to change the look and feel of the application. Select from one of the included skins or load from skins directory. You can also create your own skins. See the http://www.zappersoftware.com for details. The skin will remain in effect until you change it back.
This allows you some options to access the internet.
This will open your default browser to Google for searching.
This will send an e-mail to anyone that you specifiy.
This will download the current version of ShareGuard for evaluation. ShareGuard works with the PDFGuard product.NOTE: If ShareGuard is already installed then this option will not appear.
These are all of the help options available to the program. This contains access to the Help Contents, Help Index, Help On Help and About.
This is the page of all of the help contents. The page you are currently reading here is the contents page.
This is the page of the index for the help contents. Clicking on any item will send you to the specified position within the contents page .
Help/Help on Help
This is the page containing information on how to use the help system.
This will open your default browser to Zapper Software so that you can view any additional help or updates regarding PDFGuard.
This will send an e-mail directly to Zapper Software for personal help.
This is the page containing information about the PDFGuard program.
Form Options Directory
This is the directory path for your PDFGuard project files.
This is the directory path for your PDFGuard output files. These are all of the files that are required to run the PDFGuard Viewer. You will create a setup program containing all of these files. See Help Section at Zapper Software for more information on creating Setup files. If you cannot do the Setup program by yourself then contact me through the Zapper Sofware web site.
This is form for displaying your Ad Screen image.
This is verifying the image for the Ad Screen.
This is the folder containing all of the files required for distributing your PDF. This folder is called c:\Program Files\PDFGuard\Output.
Output - How to Distribute PDF
After you press the PUBLISH Key, all of the required files are copied into the OUTPUT folder.
The files are as follows:
Place all of the files that you required from the OUTPUT folder into a zip file or use an Software Installation program. See the C:/Program Files/PDFGuard/Samples/SampleSetup.ISS file which can be used with Inno Setup Compiler (which is free). See the help section on the website for How To Install Software Using Inno Setup
- DEFAULT.SKN - This is the skin file to apply to all forms.
- ZSSGL.EXE - This is the ShareGuard Lock program and is required if you using ShareGuard to protect the document.
- ZSSGLOCK.DLL - This is the ShareGuard Lock dynamic link library and is required if you using ShareGuard to protect the document.
- ZSSGCRC32.DLL - This is the ShareGuard CRC check dynamic link library and is required if you using ShareGuard to protect the document.
- ZSEBGDSS.EXE - This is the PDFGuard Splash Screen program and is required if you are using the Ad Screen and have entered a valid 320x240 image in the image field.
- ZSEBGDR.EXE - This is the PDFGuard Viewer program which decrypts the document and displays it to the user. This is always a required program. This is the main program to execute. This program will automatically look for a file called ZSPDF.EBI which contains all the information required to run the PDF according to the specified parameters.
- ZSPDF.EBI - This is the PDFGuard Initialization file. It is encrypted in a standard way and contains all of the information required to open the PDFGuard Viewer and follow the instructions that you provided in the PDFGuard Producer program (encryption parameters, splash screen, visit URL, use ShareGuard, etc.). This file contains your specific encryption parameters required to decrypt the *.DAT file that was created. Always use different encryption parameters.
- *.JPG - This is any 320x240 image file that you have included to be displayed as a splash screen.
- *.DAT - This is the encrypted PDFGuard document. It will be named whatever you saved it as in the PDFGuard Editor except the file extension will be changed from .RVF to .DAT. NEVER include the original .RVF file as it is not encrypted.
- DO NOT INCLUDE any other files that may have been inadvertently saved in this folder. It is always best to delete the contents of this folder prior to each PUBLISH. The exception to this is if you are distributing the key (ShareGuard Key or Manual Key) with the PDF.
- ZSSGK.EXE or ZSSGKM.EXE or ZSSGREG.EXE - These files are from the ShareGuard system and are not included in the output folder. If you are using ShareGuard and wish to distribute the software key then include either of these 2 files and the batch file or executable file containing the parameters. See ShareGuard Overview below for more details.
Output - How to Unlock PDF
If you are using ShareGuard then you will need to provide keys in order to unlock the PDF. Please see the ShareGuard documentation for the most current information on the ShareGuard software.
See C:/Program Files/PDFGuard/Samples/SampleKey.ISS file for an example of distributing a software key to unlock an PDF. This is an Inno Setup Compiler file (see above).
NOTE: The ZSSGKEY.BAT program (on the ShareGuard Locksmith Key Batch File page) contains all of the parameters to call ZSSGKM.EXE or ZSSGK.EXE. You cannot call ZSSGKM.EXE or ZSSGK.EXE by itself - it does not know what tasks to perform. The ZSSGKEY.BAT will call ZSSGKM.EXE if you specify Single User Key or will call ZSSGK.EXE if you specify NO for Single User Key. Send the user the ZSSGKEY.BAT and the ZSSGKM.EXE without any product key specified. After their product key is displayed, they will e-mail you or phone you with the product key. You can then enter it into the Locksmith Key page - Product Key field. Generate the parameters and Key Batch file and send it to the customer. It will unlock ONLY that computer for that software PDF title.
- ShareGuard Lock - use the ShareGuard Locksmith Lock page to create your ShareGuard parameters on how the PDF will be locked (e.g. After 1 run or always locked).
- Tools - use the ShareGuard Locksmith Tools / Reset Product Key to reset the product key during your PDF testing. This will reset the product key to simulate a new software installation of your PDF.
- ShareGuard Key - use the ShareGuard Locksmith Key page to create your ShareGuard Key.
The software key is used to unlock the PDF so that it will no longer display the registration form and will allow the PDF to be read. The software key can be distributed with the PDF software or can be distributed after the user purchases/registers. It is perfectly safe to distribute the software key with the original software if you are using the manual key (single user key) method or the on-line registration method. It is not recommended for the certificate method.
There are 3 different types of software keys:
- Certificates - This approach requires that the user enter a certificate number (that you added on the Key page. You can add up to 10 different certificates for each key and then issue the certificate number to the user after they purchase/register. This approach is the lowest security but requires no maintenance. The weakness with this approach is that the customer could copy all of the files to another computer and enter the same certificate. This requires the files ZSSGKEY.BAT and ZSSGK.EXE. Certificate numbers can be used for the two other approaches. In order to suppress the certificate number requirement then use the "Run Silent" option on the ShareGuard Locksmith Key page.
- On-Line Registration - See the ShareGuard On-Line Registration folder for sample code. This approach requires that the user enter a web page, username and password to unlock the PDF. This approach is medium security and requires that you change the usernames and passwords at some frequency (e.g. a daily basis). The weakness with this approach is that the customer could copy all of the files to another computer and use the same username and password unless you change the usernames/passwords frequently or have some coding on your website to prevent duplicate use of usernames. This requires the files ZSSGREG.EXE and ZSSGK.EXE. The parameters are downloaded from your website at run time and then are erased so that the user cannot distribute the key. You can also encrypt the batch file which is decrypted on the fly at run time (for even more security).
- Single User Key - This approach requires that the user run the program (ZSSGKEY.BAT and ZSSGKM.EXE) to display their unique product key. They send you the product key that is displayed. You open the ShareGuard project for that book, enter the product id (masked to user) and the 2 other product keys (hard drive signature and a randomly generated key) and then press the OK button or the ALL button and then go to the Locksmith Key Page and save the batch file that is generated. Send this batch file to the user to unlock the PDF. The batch file ZSSGKEY.BAT must be run from the same directory as ZSSGKM.EXE (your PDF folder). This requires the files ZSSGKEY.BAT and ZSSGKM.EXE. This approach has the highest security as the file is only good for one computer and will not work on any other computer. The drawback is that you must generate a unique key for each customer. This can be done within a minute. There are no weaknesses with this approach - it is impossible to copy or re-distribute the PDF software key.
|Return to Index
End of PDFGuard Help Contents